Why wait for inspiration to strike? I inspire myself every single day!
What’s My Story?
I grew up in Rochester, New York and summered on Keuka Lake. After graduating from Cornell University with a BSW, I moved to Boston where I spent the next decade working in various human service positions and earning my Master’s degree in Social Work from Boston University. During that time, I worked with a diverse population of clients and was privileged to be selected for a fellowship at the Judge Baker Children’s Center, an affiliate of Harvard Medical School.
In 1992, my husband and I returned to the FLX to raise our children. After living in Geneva for a few years, we moved to Trumansburg (a village outside of Ithaca). During that time, I volunteered and did publicity for many local and national organizations.
A few years ago, we found our dream home on Seneca Lake and we’ve lived in the hamlet of Willard full-time since 2020. When I’m not working, I enjoy swimming, hiking, reading, cooking, visiting local wineries, and hanging out on our various boats with family and friends. I love going to the movies, plays, concerts, and festivals throughout our region!
Until recently I did all my writing in a home office. However, last year I found the perfect workspace in Seneca Falls. My new office is in an old school (Mynderse Academy) and has plenty of character, along with being situated in a very walkable area overflowing with history. I doubt I’ll ever run out of ideas or things to write about there!
Why I Write
I’ve been an avid reader and writer since I was old enough to hold a book or pen by myself. I’m fascinated by people, places, and the written word so each new endeavor I take on is both a challenge and an adventure. A piece of writing with my name on it will always be the best possible work I can do for editors, publishers, or clients. Creativity, accuracy, and skillful interviewing are important, and I take pride in the many connections I make and maintain worldwide.
What Matters to Me?
A lifelong learner, I regularly attend conferences, workshops, webinars, and lectures so I’m continually expanding and improving my writing abilities! Current career goals include trying my hand at fiction and sharing my adventures through travel blogging.
Latest Blog Post:
Does anyone else feel like this summer was the busiest, craziest, hottest, and most social one in, well, in two years? Or that it was the first time...
Organizations I Belong to
- Education Writers Association
- Historical Novel Society
- Academy of American Poets
- American Writers Museum
- National Steinbeck Center
- League of Women Voters/Rochester, NY
- Friends of the Women’s Rights National Historical Park
- Global Aquaculture Alliance
- Cornell Alumni Association
Writing Conferences I’ve Attended
- 2017 Key West Literary Seminar: Revealing Power: The Literature of Politics, Key West, Florida
- 20th Annual Alabama Writers Symposium, Monroeville, Alabama
- 2017 Education Writers Association National Seminar, Washington, DC
- 2018 Association of Writers & Writing Programs, Tampa, Florida
- 2018 Education Writers Association National Seminar, Los Angeles, California
- 2019 Desert Nights, Rising Stars Writing Conference, Phoenix, Arizona
- 2019 Historical Novel Society Conference, National Harbor, Maryland
- 2019 Steinbeck Festival: In Search of America, Salinas, California
- 2019 Philadelphia Writing Workshop, Pennsylvania
- 2020 Education Writers Association National Seminar, Virtual
- 2020 Kentucky Book Festival Online
- 2020 21-Day Racial Equity Challenge, Rochester, New York
- 2021 Literary Cleveland Inkubator Conference Online
- 2021 Historical Novel Society Virtual Conference, Australasia
- 2022 Key West Literary Seminar, Florida (partial)
- 2022 Let’s Just Write! An Uncommon Writers Conference, Chicago, Illinois
- 2022 Iceland Writers Retreat, Reykjavik
Writing Conferences I’m Looking Forward to
- Looking for ideas!
- Cap Creal Journalism Award, Printed Series, New York State Agricultural Society, January 2017
- Gold Award, Travel Department, “Take a Walk on the Wild Side of Western New York”, Parenting Media Association Conference Awards, March 2017