What’s My Story?
I’ve lived in the Finger Lakes Region for most of my life. I was born and raised in Rochester, New York, and spent my summers on Keuka Lake. After graduating from Cornell University, I moved to Boston where I spent the next decade, working and earning my Masters in Social Work at Boston University. During that time, I was privileged to be selected for a fellowship at the Judge Baker Children’s Center, affiliated with Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard University.
When my husband and I started our family in 1992, we returned to the FLX area to raise our family. After relocating to Geneva, New York for a few years, we moved to Trumansburg (a village outside of Ithaca) where we’ve spent the last eighteen years.
Neil and I have been married almost thirty years. We have three adult sons, Ray, Russell, and Calvin and a rescue dog named Murphy. I like to camp, swim, read, cook (especially baking), visit wineries, and go to movies, plays, and concerts with family and friends.
My professional and volunteer work experience includes public relations, marketing, volunteer training and management, grant writing, individual and family counseling, group work, community development, voter education, and freelance writing.
Why I write
I’ve been an avid reader and writer since I was old enough to hold a book or pen by myself. I’m fascinated by people, places, and the written word and each new assignment that I take on is a challenge and an adventure for me. A piece of writing with my name in the byline is always the best possible work that I can do for my editors, publishers, and clients. I place a high value on creativity, accuracy, time management, and skillful interviewing. I also take pride in my networking ability and the many connections I’ve made, and relationships I maintain, worldwide.
What’s important to me?
I’m a lifelong learner and I take full advantage of conferences, workshops and presentations, webinars, and writing-related activities, offered locally and around the country, to continue to expand and hone my writing skills. You’ll frequently find me on the Cornell University or Ithaca College campus’ attending talks given by famous authors, journalists, or other communication professionals.
Organizations I belong to
- Education Writers Association
- Association of Writers and Writing Professionals
- Writers and Books
- Various LinkedIn writing groups
- League of Women Voters
- Cornell Alumni Association
Writing Conferences I've Attended
- American Society of Journalists and Authors, New York City, New York
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs, Boston, Massachusetts
- Chautauqua Writers’ Festival, Chautauqua Institution, New York
- Cornell’s America, America’s Cornell, Ithaca, New York
- Freedom Summer Conference and Reunion, Oxford, Ohio
- Southwest Valley Writers Conferences Avondale, Arizona
- 2016 Education Writers Association National Seminar, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2016 Steel Pen Conference/Indiana Writers' Consortium, Merrillville, Indiana
- 2017 Key West Literary Seminar: Revealing Power: The Literature of Politics, Florida
Writing Conferences I'll Be Going To
- 20th Annual Alabama Writers Symposium, Monroeville, Alabama
- 2017 Education Writers Association National Seminar, Washington, DC
- Cap Creal Journalism Award, Printed Series, New York State Agricultural Society, January 2017
- Gold Award, Travel Department, "Take a Walk on the Wild Side of Western New York", Parenting Media Association Conference Awards, March 2017